tisdag 22 maj 2012

Lone rider 2: Helsinki

So yesterday I did Hameenlinna - Helsinki (100 km). Followed the old highway 130 for the duration of the day so not much variation in environment at all but the weather was absolutely stunning. I had to stop in the shade during the hottest hour of the day, so I took the opportunity of having a Lihapirakka+nakki+ranskalaiset meal at a truckstop along the road. Its amazing how much goes down the hatch when you are biking 6 hours a day!

I arrived to Helsinki through the Central Park, filled to the brim with joggers. Not exagerating here, the jogger-density was higher than the crying child density at Gröna Lund. I had to stop multiple times just because of cardio-crazed traffic congestion.

Anyway, In Helsinki I had the pleasure to stay the night at Laura and Eskos apartment. We even had time to do some sight-seeing in the evening. I got to see the prime ministers moominhouse and the Sibelius monument.  In the morning i went to pick up my passport from the swedish embassy. The process was relatively pain free except from the fact that they didnt accept credit card.

I then set out to find the harbour in good time. Finnlines is a little like the Ryan Air of the seas, the boat leaves from "Helsinki", but some 20+ km east of the center i found it and checked in. Almost ended up in Travemünde (not totally wrong direction) but managed to get on the right boat and here I am! What am i doing here?

Well, Im meeting friends in Berlin on the first of june. And I am sort of against flying. And I love biking. People want to know where I am all the time so I take to the blogs to satisfy them. But now i think i smelled some Golonka from the onboard restaurant, cheers!

Trip total: 3 days, 230 km



1 kommentar:

  1. Hoppas du har hittat fina cykelvägar och fortfarande är vid gott mod! Här händer inte så mycket mer än att den fantastiska våren rullar in och syrenerna ska till att blomma - och alla föreställningar, konserter och utställningar i slutet av terminen på kulturskolan går av stapeln. Väntar med spänning att få höra hur du har det Malte!
    /Kram från mamma (och pappa på Öland)

    SvaraRadera